Dawnspire Community Forums

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. July 04, 2020, 18:00:18 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Sorry, you must be logged in to use the shoutbox!
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: Custom Textures! :)  (Read 7698 times)
Ghost
HonorGuards
Level 8

The Guardian Angel

View Profile
« on: January 24, 2011, 17:07:29 PM »

Ok, I've been talking with Johan and Persus ... and the consensus is that if a texture were to be editted 'player-side' - then that player would experience the new textures during gameplay regardless of the host server. Therefore, I was thinking of creating some new Player-Side Custom Mods which allow players to download new textures and have a better 'customising' ability with their gameplay.

I can edit the textures of terrain, buildings, armor etc ... and upload the new files in .zip files. If proven popular, they could even be intergrated into the game installer.

What are people's views on texture changes they would like?

At the moment, my ideas are:
> Changing the seraphin blade of the 'Dark Templar' to a red color... to make it look more evil. Could be applied to shield, revive etc etc.
> Change the aura colours of Templars to suitable colours based on team.
> Create distinctive 'Team' colourings for reavers.
> Edit the colours of weapons & armors to make variable character appearances.

Suggestions welcomed and appreciated

Images of Texture Modifications will be posted later
« Last Edit: January 24, 2011, 17:18:21 PM by Ghost » Logged

"It is easier for a man to destroy the light inside of him, then the darkness all around him." - Which would you pick? - Some would pick light, others darkness... Can an imbalance be made?
Derped
HonorGuards
Level 13

Baaa!

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2011, 17:50:02 PM »

I approve with the templar changes and especially like the reaver thingy to make it more distinct.

Reverendlamb, the most famous Time Travel Adventurer of the 30th century.
Ghost
HonorGuards
Level 8

The Guardian Angel

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2011, 17:54:54 PM »

Like the reaver thingy to make it more distinct.

The templar changes dont seem to be specific to team, in terms of seraphin glow - so both light and dark sides would have red glow etc ... but it's still worth a try.

The reavers however, ARE 100% able to be changed per team. I was thinking about maybe a redish colour for the dark reaver... or maybe just edit the skin colour to be a darker tone.

"It is easier for a man to destroy the light inside of him, then the darkness all around him." - Which would you pick? - Some would pick light, others darkness... Can an imbalance be made?
Ghost
HonorGuards
Level 8

The Guardian Angel

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2011, 18:56:29 PM »

A simple 'player-side' test. Test proved to be successful... so now larger modding can begin. More images will be posted as events unfold. Roll Eyes

Derped
HonorGuards
Level 13

Baaa!

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2011, 18:58:34 PM »

*Drool*

Ghost
HonorGuards
Level 8

The Guardian Angel

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2011, 19:01:02 PM »

*Drool*

Don't worry lamb Tongue. I may even make a download of some sort that would enable people to modify their own textures. I just need to get around converting all the textures to png files and editting them all oO

Derped
HonorGuards
Level 13

Baaa!

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2011, 19:02:17 PM »

I didn't understand half of that. I only occasionally stumble upon anything in .png format.

Ghost
HonorGuards
Level 8

The Guardian Angel

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2011, 19:05:15 PM »

I didn't understand half of that. I only occasionally stumble upon anything in .png format.

Lets just say, I'm converting the .dds texture files for the dawnspire game into a file format that can be editted easily (using things like photoshop, gimp etc). Then... I make a set of folders containing the workable images in a user-friendly layout. Include a read-me explaining what to do with the files, how to convert them back into .dds files.... and how to implement them into the game.

Meaning... Everyone can edit their own dawnspire games. Wink

johan
Administrator
Level 11

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2011, 19:07:22 PM »

Don't worry lamb Tongue. I may even make a download of some sort that would enable people to modify their own textures. I just need to get around converting all the textures to png files and editting them all oO
Wouldn't it be easier to just edit the dds textures directly? I know that nvidia has a plugin for Photoshop that allows it to open / save dds files.

Ghost
HonorGuards
Level 8

The Guardian Angel

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2011, 19:10:42 PM »

Wouldn't it be easier to just edit the dds textures directly? I know that nvidia has a plugin for Photoshop that allows it to open / save dds files.

Yes it would. However, I figured that having the textures in .png format would be better for a wider range of people. I for one don't have photoshop, and use Gimp instead. So I'd need to convert the textures to edit them.  The download would still include the dds files - so if people have the add-on like you say, they can do it that way. It just makes it useable to more people  Wink

johan
Administrator
Level 11

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: January 24, 2011, 19:54:58 PM »

Here is a dds plugin for the Gimp =) http://code.google.com/p/gimp-dds/

Ghost
HonorGuards
Level 8

The Guardian Angel

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 24, 2011, 20:03:09 PM »

Here is a dds plugin for the Gimp =) http://code.google.com/p/gimp-dds/

Thanks. Will make this a lot quicker ^^

Nightmare
Global Moderator
Level 13

I heal, you kill

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 24, 2011, 20:05:11 PM »

Is it wise to let everyone know how to edit textures? Plenty of exploits down that road...
Ghost
HonorGuards
Level 8

The Guardian Angel

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 24, 2011, 20:20:12 PM »

Is it wise to let everyone know how to edit textures? Plenty of exploits down that road...

What exploits do you mean?

And It was just an idea. I could just create a download of a modded version of the .pkg file. But I don't know how to reconstruct the .pkg file with new files.

Nightmare
Global Moderator
Level 13

I heal, you kill

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 24, 2011, 20:33:28 PM »

Messing with shadowblades invisibility comes to mind first.

Also you don't want to put the files back to the .pkg and distribute that, it's way too big to be practical. Just make an installer like we used with the new maps, the instructions should still be here somewhere.
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: