Dawnspire Community Forums

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. August 09, 2020, 23:32:04 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Sorry, you must be logged in to use the shoutbox!
Pages: [1] 2 3
  Print  
Author Topic: Setting up a server  (Read 16525 times)
PimpFather
Team Toss
Level 9

No brain, no pain.

View Profile
« on: January 03, 2009, 11:03:16 AM »

This is some gathered info about how to set up a server in DS. I thought it would be good to have this in one place. Perhaps Johan can make this thread sticky. Feel free to add comments and questions, and I'll change this info so that it is correct.

From the DS FAQ:

Hosting your own Dawnspire server

Server requirements

Hosting your own Dawnspire server is possible on any computer that can run the game, and with some special command line parameters it is also possible to host a server without a compliant graphics card. In terms of bandwidth we recommend at least 1MB upstream if you plan to host 16 player games, more is obviously better *). You will also need to open the selected server port (default 3170) for use with UDP and TCP. If you are behind a NAT firewall you will have to forward all traffic on the same port to the computer which will be serving the game.

Registering the server
You can register one or more servers at the bottom of your personal page, here you give your server a name, specify the number of players allowed, a map cycle, ranking and / or experience limits for the server and also if the server is to be logged or not. Note that servers that are created by players are NOT ranked and cannot give you any experience or rating initially. If you would like to see your server ranked, contact us on support@silent-grove.com **).

Starting a server in the game
To start a server login to the game as usual, then click the Host button in the left side menu ***), you will be presented with a list of your registered servers. Select a server in the list and click the Start button to start the server. The servers name will be suffixed with (Started) when the server is active.

Commandline options for dedicated servers
It is possible to start a server automatically on game launch using command line parameters. Adding the following to a shortcut will automatically login the player my@address.com and start the server with id 16 (you can see the servers id in the address field of your browser while editing it). Also note the optional noDevice parameter that forces the game to start without loading any UI graphics, in this mode you cannot interact with the game in any way but the server will be running.

-username my@address.com -password myPass -startServers 16 noDevice

Also note that it is possible to host several servers on one machine as long as they use different ports. To start more than one server just adds the server ids after -startServers separated by commas, like so:

-startServers 16,32,111

*) 1 MBPS upstream is enough for perhaps 10 or 12 player games, not more so consider this when setting up the number of maximum users and number of bots. / Pimp
**) You should contact Johan (http://dawnspire.tinyrocket.se/index.php?l=true#showPlayer&id=5848) to get your server ranked, not support@silent-grove.com. / Pimp
***) The button for hosting is the one most to the right on the bottom of the strarting page. / Pimp

From the DS-Wiki:

Setting up the host in Dawnspire is very easy. See the Dawnspire official FAQ on how to set up a host. Just follow the steps mentioned in the FAQ, and things should run smoothly.

If you want to run a dedicated host on a separate computer from the one you are playing on, create a trial account and register your servers under it. This allows you to play on your computer with your account without eating resources from the server, and thus server performance can be better for the others joining.

Those with hosting problems should check:

Firewall and router settings.

Your firewall (both hardware and/or software firewall) must allow traffic both *in* and *out* through the designated port, using *both* UDP and TCP protocols. Also notice that Microsoft Updater sometimes turns on automatically the Windowds Firewall, so check that it is not on.

See portforward.com on how to handle port-forwarding on your router. Please notice that you must be the network administrator, and should have some familiarity with setting up routers, if you are meddling the settings on your network. At the very least do read the manual of your router.
If the settings are ok, turn firewall off, and put router on DMZ. This is done to just verify if the issue is with firewall and/orrotuer after all. If the host works now, then it indicates you failed to so something right in step 1.
You might have a trojan or virus that is interfering (either using a crucial port (in case of a trojan) or resource (trojan or virus). Check your system for trojans and virues.
If nothing else helps, check with your Internet provider that they are not applying a NAT policy, or that they do not block some ports (some ISPs (especially companies and Universities) are known to sometimes block ports that are widely used by p2p filesharing networks).

To check if there is a NAT policy (when you think there isn't, or if you are not quite sure) affecting your hosting possibilities, assuming you use Windows XP:

Start -> Run -> type cmd and press enter. Type ipconfig at the command prompt and press enter. Take note of your IP-addres from the report.
Open your web-browser and go to whatismyip.com and take note of your reported IP-address.
Compare the IP addresses from 1 and 2. They must be exactly same if you want to be able to host Dawnspire (or most any other games too), or you have to configure your router correctly.

Notice that many university and business networks are blocking many ports to limit the un-purpouseful burden on the network. Please check with the network administrators if you are allowed to run a Dawnspire server in the network, and what ports you can use.

Retrieved from "http://www.dawnspirewiki.com/index.php?title=Hosting"

Smiley / Pimp
Maci
Unholy Alliance
Level 8

Om Nom Nom Nom!

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2009, 21:05:12 PM »

how did you check your server ID again?...anyone?

Om Nom Nom Nom!
Maci
Unholy Alliance
Level 8

Om Nom Nom Nom!

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2009, 21:06:33 PM »

NVMVNVMNVMNV!! sorry

Om Nom Nom Nom!
Hullu
Blue Hero
Level 13

Manly All Over

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2009, 21:15:10 PM »

Maci is so cute.

while($spammer="hullu") write $crap[random(0,20000)];
Maci
Unholy Alliance
Level 8

Om Nom Nom Nom!

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2009, 21:20:05 PM »

*makes puppydog face* :O i am..no waaaaayyy!, why cant i make the dedicated server thingy work...oh well more fiddleing ftw i guess

Om Nom Nom Nom!
PimpFather
Team Toss
Level 9

No brain, no pain.

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2009, 18:28:17 PM »

What do you mean with server ID? Yor IP-address, or is there a special DS server ID?
FLuori
Blue Hero
Level 9

Prowler Till Death!

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2009, 20:45:16 PM »

Every server has own ID.
One way to see server ID: Go to your (or any) servers page and you can see it from url line. I don't know if there is some other way to see it, but...
I'm not God, so I might be wrong.

And for an example, your "PimpMyServer" ID is 279.

Demolishor: "yes! I made that relic move like 2 meters towards our op and got an orgasm."
Hullu
Blue Hero
Level 13

Manly All Over

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2009, 05:49:49 AM »

I'm not God, so I might be wrong.

I wouldn't be so sure of that.

FLuori
Blue Hero
Level 9

Prowler Till Death!

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2009, 21:31:50 PM »

The God is in the HOUSE!

Demolishor: "yes! I made that relic move like 2 meters towards our op and got an orgasm."
PimpFather
Team Toss
Level 9

No brain, no pain.

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2009, 12:05:37 PM »

Thanks! But why would you want to know the ID?
Hullu
Blue Hero
Level 13

Manly All Over

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 15, 2009, 12:18:43 PM »

That way you can go to the server page even when it's offline.

I.E. http://dawnspire.tinyrocket.se/#showServer&id=279 that's your server. On the URL you see your ID, and if enter another number, you see that server. Easy way to access that page when the server is offline.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2009, 12:42:21 PM by Hullu » Logged

Maci
Unholy Alliance
Level 8

Om Nom Nom Nom!

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 15, 2009, 12:46:02 PM »

hullu your so awesome!!!, pimp i followed the instructions on how to set up a dedicated server..i dont get it to work for some odd reason..have anyone tryd it besides me? if so whhatt the hell am i doing wrong! ^^

Om Nom Nom Nom!
Hullu
Blue Hero
Level 13

Manly All Over

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 15, 2009, 12:48:53 PM »

You're being too Macu!

johan
Administrator
Level 11

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: January 15, 2009, 18:36:33 PM »

This is what my shortcut looks like
Code:
"C:\Program Files (x86)\Silent Grove Studios\Dawnspire\Dawnspire.exe" -launcher -username johan -password ... -startServers 173 noDevice

Maci
Unholy Alliance
Level 8

Om Nom Nom Nom!

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 15, 2009, 20:06:55 PM »

okay..theres nothing wrong i just wrote my player id instead of the server id...it works now...YAY ^^ thanks for reminding me johan Smiley

Om Nom Nom Nom!
Pages: [1] 2 3
  Print  

Jump to: